Sunday, January 22, 2017

New year, new decade!

22 days ago, we officially kicked off the year we will welcome Little One! 5 days after that, I said so long to my 20s & began a new decade :) And today, we hit the 25 week mark! You know what that means? VIABILITY, baby!!

A few developments on Little One - he is a HE! :) I actually found out at our 20 week appointment on December 16th, but decided to surprise Husband with the news over Christmas. I wrapped up a little Harley Davidson onesie along with a handwritten note that said "Merry Christmas, Dad!" And on the inside, "Love, your SON!!" When he pulled out the onesie, he started laughing. Then he saw the card and got this look of shocked realization on his face. As he read the card, he said "Youuuuu shithead..." in a very loving way :) It was great; he was completely taken by surprise!

As of today, Little Man weighs about 1 1/2 lbs, and is the size of a baseball glove. Or a prairie dog. Or a bag of popped popcorn. And he has been moving around, kicking like crazy! But he still won't kick for his dad, which kind of bums me out. I know within a few more weeks, however, he'll be moving my whole belly with his acrobatics :)

Earlier today, Husband asked me if I like being pregnant, and I have to say...I love it!! The whole process is absolutely fascinating to me, and I am in awe of what my body is capable of. Now, all my life I have struggled with my body, how I look, and how I'm shaped. It took 27 years for me to learn to love my body, & even then there were of course days where I just couldn't stand the way my body looked, in or out of clothes. But since getting pregnant, I can honestly say that I have never liked my body more, or felt more comfortable in my own skin. I absolutely love the way I look, swollen feet and all! :)

One thing I do struggle with, however, is the constant attention from strangers. It's very much a double-edge sword for me because I have waited years to be the noticeably pregnant woman walking down the street, or through the store, & have people glance at my protruding baby belly & smile at me. But there are days, or even random moments where it makes me feel overwhelmingly anxious, & I have to resist the urge to go hide in a corner. I know that sounds odd considering I just typed an entire paragraph about how much I love my body right now, but what can I say; pregnancy is weird. Now that I've hit that point in the pregnancy where my belly is more noticeable, people are staring more, & I don't know if it's my own insecurities or some strange, primal, maternal thing that doesn't like people staring at my unborn baby.

I know this all sounds really strange, but I've been trying to make a point to talk about the strange nuances of pregnancy on the off-chance that there is anyone else out there who has or is experiencing similar things. Everyone likes to know they're not the only one :)

That's all for now, but I plan on writing another blog soon talking about my first steps into the wide world of baby registries. Because...yikes. That has been intense.

Happy New Year, everyone! I hope January has been as full & prosperous for you & yours has it has been for me & mine :)

No comments:

Post a Comment